"It is vitally important that the Australian health system, and birthing services in particular, are safe, confidential places where women receive effective support and high quality care if they disclose abuse. How prepared the Australian health system is to respond to these challenges is the focus of this paper."
- The wider context of violence against women and the health system
- How widespread is abuse in pregnancy and who is affected? Dilemmas in measuring intimate violence and abuse
- What are the dangers to the mothers' and children's health and wellbeing from this form of abuse?
- Is screening the best way to respond?
- Strengthening effective responses in the health system
Issues papers are published 1-3 times a year. Each paper&explores an aspect of domestic and family violence in& depth, including a review of relevant Australian and international literature and analysis of current trends and issues.