Casa de Esperanza, in partnership with the Office on Violence Against Women, Asian Pacific Institute on Gender Based Violence, Ujima, Inc: The National Center on Violence Against Women in the Black Community, and the Center for Court Innovation, is hosting a two-day training on January 10-11, 2018 on how court staff can implement practices that enhance responses to the culturally specific needs of litigants.
Enhancing Cultural Responsiveness in the Courts Training is an interactive training for court staff that explores culture and court responses to culturally specific domestic violence and sexual assault victims.As a result of this training, participants will be better able to:
- Facilitate access to justice by fostering more culturally responsive courts, court staff, and judges.
- Identify role-specific responsibilities in implementing culturally responsive practices in the courts.
- Assess culturally-specific barriers survivors may face in the criminal and civil justice systems and design strategies for overcoming those challenges.
Below are some of the topics that will be addressed. Please note that it is subject to change.
- What’s Bias Got to Do with It?
- Court Culture and Access to Justice
- Cultural Responsiveness & Systems Mapping
- Language and Culture in the Courts
- Problem Solving: Overcoming Barriers
- Team Action Planning
Who Can Apply:
Attendance is limited to 40 participants representing Justice for Families, Court Training and Improvements Programs (CTIP), and STOP and their OVW grant partners can participate and use their OVW travel funds to send court staff and partners to this training. The ideal team consists of 2 to 4 participants that work with DV/SA cases including but not limited to Judge, court clerk, security, court advocates and DV prosecutors unit, and other court-related stakeholders such as a domestic violence advocate or civil legal services attorney.
Register before spots are full! Sites interested in attending must register by October 6, 2017 at 5pm EST. Please submit one application per team member by the deadline (even if you are still awaiting approval internally).