Q&A (Queers & Allies/Questions & Answers) is a one-of-a-kind training and consultation project available to domestic violence advocates and others who want to improve their advocacy with trans and queer, bisexual lesbian, and gay survivors of abuse. Through this project, the National LGBTQ Institute on Intimate Partner Violence brings together advocates from across the country to:
- Develop assessment skills and experience;
- Share specialized info from LGBTQ survivors;
- Share information about unique issues and concerns facing our diverse LGBTQ communities;
- Problem solve around typical barriers that exist in shelters, advocate programs, anti-violence projects and queer resource centers;
- Integrate queer generated theories and information about domestic violence into work with survivors;
Topics include: assessing “who’s who” in abusive LGBTQ relationships; supporting survivors’ self-determination in advocacy; domestic violence through a trans perspective; community outreach and engagement strategies; sex, sexuality and sexual abuse; safety planning in small communities; support group and counseling issues; involving community members in social change; basic and advanced domestic violence analysis.