This webinar from the Center for Court Innovation and the National American Indian Court Judges Association will provide participants with an opportunity to share strengths and challenges present in their tribal justice systems’ current response to domestic violence criminal cases. Using the experience of the Tulalip Tribes in planning a specialized domestic violence court, presenters will share strategies for tackling this issue. Even where such a specialized court may not be feasible, elements of the model can be implemented, including:
- informed decision-making,
- interagency collaboration and communication,
- specialization and training,
- integration of victim services,
- courthouse safety and security,
- compliance monitoring,
- supporting healing for victims, their families and the community, and
- facilitating the change process for community members who cause harm.
As a result of this webinar, participants will be able to identify practices that their tribal justice system can implement to strengthen their response to domestic violence.