Join the Battered Women's Justice Project (BWJP) and a group of esteemed national experts in sunny Jacksonville, Florida for a stimulating two and a half day conference. This training will provide law enforcement, prosecutors and advocates the opportunity to connect with peers from around the country to examine and discuss the impact of gender bias on the criminal justice system's response to domestic and sexual violence. Framed by the recent Department of Justice guidance, "Identifying and Preventing Gender Bias in Law Enforcement Response to Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence," participants will have the opportunity to identify how gender bias is at work in their own systems and learn ways to address it.
As a result of this conference, participants will be better able to:
1) Recognize and address biases, assumptions and stereotypes about victims.
2) Develop approaches to victims that centralize their experiences.
3) Employ trauma informed interviewing tactics.
4) Investigate and classify all complaints of domestic and sexual violence thoroughly.
5) Utilize research data to improve both their own and their agency’s response to domestic and sexual violence.
6) Hold officers who commit domestic and sexual violence accountable.
7) Implement a consistent and intentional process that identifies and prevents gender bias.
Who Should Attend: Law enforcement officers, advocates and prosecutors.
Logistics & Registration
There are no registration or training fees to attend. This conference is open to OVW Improving Criminal Justice Responses (formerly GTEAP or "Arrest" ) grantees and OVW Rural Grantees. These OVW grantees are pre-approved to use grant travel funds to attend.
Improving Criminal Justice Responses grantees must use their OVW-issued grant number to register for this training.
Rural grantees, please register using this number: 2011-WEAX-1933.
Registration/hotel deadline is February 3, 2016.
For questions related to the content of the conference, please contact Sujata Warrier at BWJP: 612-824-8768, ext. 116; email@example.com. For questions related to conference logistics, please contact Jeanne Larson at BWJP: 612-824-8768, ext. 101; firstname.lastname@example.org.