NRCDV Radio’s Stories of Transformation podcast station is dedicated to lifting up and honoring the voices of survivors and advocates, featuring interviews with advocates from the field, real life stories from survivors, and innovative practices in advocacy. During Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM), we mourn those who have lost their lives because of domestic violence, celebrate those who have survived senseless acts of violence and connect individuals who work to end gender-based violence.
This year we are lifting up and honoring the voices of advocates working to end gender-based violence through storytelling. We invite you to join us and share your story! Why are you an advocate?
NRCDV is calling for submissions from advocates in the field in response to the prompts: Why I’m an Advocate and/or Why I Became an Advocate.
We are seeking stories that respond to this prompt as a strategy for shedding light on:
- The value of advocacy in the movement to end gender-based violence,
- The strength and perseverance of advocates in the face of challenging times,
- The invaluable role of advocates in supporting survivors as they move along their healing journey, and
- The power of storytelling as a strategy for raising awareness and inspiring change.
If your submission is selected for production, you will be invited to read your story aloud, or offered alternate accommodations as needed, for a recorded podcast. Selected stories will be shared nationally as part of the Domestic Violence Awareness Project’s efforts during Domestic Violence Awareness Month in October 2017.
- Stories should be written from your point of view (first person/ “I” statements).
- Stories should be between 10-15 minutes in length, when read aloud.
- Individuals from traditionally marginalized and oppressed groups, including advocates of color, non-English speaking, immigrant, Native, Deaf, trans-identified, gender non-conforming, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and advocates living with disabilities are encouraged to submit.
- Creativity in storytelling is encouraged!
Submissions are due Monday, August 21st in Word format via email to: nrcdvTA@nrcdv.org with the subject line “Why I’m an Advocate.”
Storytellers will be notified by Friday, September 1st.
NRCDV offers free technical assistance to support your storytelling efforts. If you seek assistance in crafting your narrative, reach out to the NRCDV at nrcdvTA@nrcdv.org or 800-537-2238 x103.