"This report provides an overview of promising violence prevention initiatives across the nation, with special focus on the primary prevention of violence affecting youth and adult intimate partner violence. Specific attention is given to initiatives directed at particularly vulnerable populations, including racial/ethnic groups, immigrants, low-income populations, girls and women, and others. Due to the complexity of the issue, comprehensive approaches to the primary prevention of violence affecting youth and adult intimate partner violence are emphasized as preferable to unrelated individual programs. Making a significant impact in a community requires a cluster of effective activities at different levels (e.g., government, community, and training programs)."
This report describes several promising practices towards the primary prevention of violence:
- Comprehensive Government-led Initiatives
- Gang Violence Prevention and Intervention Programs
- Youth Development Programs
- Youth-Driven, Youth-Led programs
- School-Based Programs
- Mental Health Programs
- Intimate partner and sexual violence prevention programs
- Coalitions and Collaboration
- Training and Leadership Development
- Public Awareness Campaigns
The Appendix includes program descriptions including mission, goals, target populations, history/overview, and contact information.