• Adult Children Exposed to Domestic Violence
  • Runaway & Homeless Youth Toolkit
  • Prevent Intimate Partner Violence
  • Violence Against Women Resource Library
  • Domestic Violence and Housing Technical Assistance Consortium
  • Domestic Violence Awareness Project
  • National Resource Center on Domestic Violence


 Create an account to save and access your bookmarked materials anytime, anywhere.

  create account  |   login

An Online Resource Library on Gender-Based Violence.

Hate Violence Against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People in the United States 2008

General Material

This report provides the most comprehensive data on anti-lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) violence in the United States. This report provides recommendations for ways to advance education and prevention of hate violence before it occurs and ways to hold public institutions more accountable to responding to violence when it occurs. It is written by a coalition of 35 LGBT anti-violence programs in 25 states across the country. This report is meant to draw attention to the incidents and trends it documents and to highlight the need for more comprehensive responses to bias violence.

"The total number of victims reporting anti-LGBT violence to NCAVP in 2008 was 2,424 which represent a 2% increase over the total number of victims re- ported in 2007 and a 26% increase over a two year period. Known anti-LGBT murders rose 28% from 2007 to 2008 and are at the highest level since 1999."