This is a compiled list of existing state laws and pending legislation that counteract the legal problems that victims of domestic violence face in obtaining housing. This document also includes measures that:
- Prohibit housing discrimination against victims of abuse;
- Allow a victim of domestic violence to terminate a lease early to flee an abuser;
- Provide a defense against eviction for battered tenants in court;
- Prohibit landlords from refusing tenants the ability to call the police; and
- Require landlords to change the locks on a battered tenant's unit.